Local football round up, 7th April 2012 | Latest Newry News, Newry Sport and Newry Business for Newry City

Local football round up, 7th April 2012

Premier Division

Five ‘star’ Windmill power past Cleary Celtic

John Joe Maguire struck a hat trick for Windmill as they extended their lead at the top of the league table to seven points.

In a lively first half Maguire headed past Hanna in the Cleary goal to give Windmill an early lead but an error in the Windmill defence let in Kenny Murphy to nod in an equaliser for Cleary Celtic.

Spot the ball! - Midfield action from Clanrye Athletic v Parkview on Saturday.

Maguire then headed in his second of the day to restore Windmill’s advantage minutes before half time.

Ten minutes into the second half Cleary were almost back on level terms. A long range shot from Robbie Quinn deceived the Cleary Celtic goalkeeper Hanna but luckily for him the ball scraped the side of the post and rolled wide.

Minutes later Mattie Shields failed to capitalize on a half chance for Cleary Celtic but from then on Windmill took control of the encounter.

Windmill’s Paul Murphy then had a clear header on goal but powered his effort over the bar. On 70 minutes, Windmill were then awarded a penalty kick when a Cleary defender handled the ball inside the area. Maguire stepped forward looking to bag his hat trick, but Hanna got down well to save a tame effort from the ex-Newry City striker.

Shortly afterwards, a speculative shot from Chris Havern went under the keeper to extend the Star’s lead with ten minutes left on the clock. Maguire then made amends for his earlier penalty miss when he fired past Hanna with an unstoppable drive from 25 yards to complete his hat trick on 84 minutes.

Three minutes from time Jimmy Russell made it five when he dispossessed a Cleary defender before he ran on and rifled a left footed low drive past the despairing arms of Hanna.


First Division

McKeown hat trick sees off Clanrye

Parkview continued their recent run of good form when they beat bottom side Clanrye Athletic 4-1 at Olympic park.

Hugh Campbell fires in Parkview's third goal against Clanrye Athletic at Olympic Park.

The sides were level at half time but Parkview ran out easy winners in the second half when Fergal McKeown completed his hat trick and Hugh Campbell grabbed his fourth goal in three games with a fine individual effort.


Killeavy deny Rockview in thriller

Killeavy advanced to the AOH Cup quarter finals after a thrilling encounter at Willie Davis park. The score line was locked at 2-2 but a mistake by the Rockview ‘keeper gifted Killeavy the winner in the final moments of the game.

Killeavy dominated the early stages of the game with the in form Anthony O’Hare firing in the first as they took a two goal cushion.

Rockview struck back though and goals from Stephen Daly and Danny Cinnamond leveled affairs at half time.

The second half was end to end stuff with both sides guilty of spurning good chances. Danny Cinnamond and Paul O’Rourke went close for Rockview while Barry McParland was keeping Killeavy out at the other end.

Killeavy took control of the game in the last 20 minutes and bombarded the Rockview goal with a series of clear goal scoring opportunities. The best of these fell to the normally clinical O’Hare who will probably never get an easier chance at goal. The ball fell to him from five yards out but he somehow managed to steer his header over the bar with an open goal at his mercy.

Goalmouth action from the Rockview United v Killeavy United game at Willie Davis park on Saturday.

The game looked to be destined for extra time but with seconds remaining Killeavy won a corner. The ball reached the head of Barry Magee, who nodded the ball into the arms of the Rockview goalkeeper McParland, but he failed to hold onto the ball and dropped it over the goal line.

This proved to be the last action of the game but it must be said that this scoreline was little more than Killeavy deserved,  given their second half dominance.

Bessbrook survive scare in cup

Killowen Celtic were within just two minutes of of the AOH semi final before Bessbrook’s Mark Patton popped up two minutes from the end to send the tie into extra time.

A Ryan Cousins goal early in the second half looked to be enough to carry Killowen through before Patton headed home a corner late in the game to force extra time.

Bessbrook then took the lead when that man Patton was in the right place at the right time to finish from close range five minutes into the first period of extra time. The ‘Brook then took took a firm hold on the game and even when Ben Treanor was pushed into an unfamiliar defensive role, they never really looked like surrendering their lead.

Bessbrook  must now be firm favourites to make the final as this result sees them set up a semi final clash with first division side Bohemians.

Action from Rockview v Killeavy United and Clanrye Athletic v Parkview:

[nggallery id=14]


Premier Division             

Ballybot United 3 – 2 Crieve Rovers

Cleary Celtic  1 – 5 Windmill Stars

Newry Celtic  9 – 1 Damolly United

First Division

Clanrye Athletic   1 – 4 Parkview

Drumcashlone  0 – 0 Millburn United

Grasshoppers 1 – 4 North End Strollers

Newry Juventus   1 – 5 Whitecross AFC

Rostrevor Rovers  0 – 0   Ashgrove Rovers

Villa Rovers  0 – 0 Cartwheel United

AOH CUP            

Quarter finals

Kilkeel Athletic 1 – 0 Midway United (AET. 0 – 0 at full time)

Killowen Celtic 1 – 2 Bessbrook United (AET. 1 – 1 at full time)

Round 2

Rockview United 2 – 3 Killeavey United


Short URL: https://newrytimes.com/?p=10765

Posted by on Apr 8 2012. Filed under Sport. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Find us on Facebook

Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes