Newry City FC progress is swift and sure.

Posted by
Saturday, December 17th, 2011
Newry City 6-1 Sport and Leisure Swifts – JJB Sports Irish Cup It was men against boys at the Newry Showgrounds this weekend as Newry saw off their Belfast based opponents in superb style in the 4th Round of the JJB Sports Irish Cup. Newry have now progressed in to the 5th Round and will face an away trip to Banbridge. It didn’t take long for Newry to come out of the blocks and they were unlucky not to be 1 up in the 2nd minute as a Darren Freeman corner found the head of Darragh Hanaphy who headed wide of goal. Soon after Brian Mallon found space in the penalty area but was denied by the Swifts’ goalkeeper. The breakthrough came in the 8th minute when Darragh Hanaphy fired a pile driver from the edge of the box which gave Damien Nugent in goal no chance. Newry continued to pile the prssure on the visitors and were rewarded on the 16th minute when a cross from captain Darren King found the head of Brian Mallon who comfortably put City 2 goals to the good. Shortly after Newry could have found themselves 3 goals up after errors from Swifts’ keeper Nugent and Darren Munster allowed Brian Mallon to fire in a cross which hit the upright and bounced to safety. The visitors had to wait until the 25th minute to force a safe from the Newry goalkeeper when Gerard McCabe’s shot from distance was gathered by Gareth Buchanan was great ease. The visitors then came at Newry again when Kevin Duff shot wide of the goal. The chances for Sport and Leisure wouldn’t last long as Newry began to once again turn the screw with a Brian Mallon free kick clipping the post and Hanaphy and Carvill both having shots before the half time whistle blew. It was a case of deja vu in the second half as Newry once again scored 8 minutes in when Brian Mallon put Timmy Grant through to put the ball past Nugent. Newry didn’t take their foot off the pedal as they went on to create several chances and go 4 goals up in the 56th minute, when Hanaphy got on the end of a Grant cross to head home. The visitors didn’t feel sorry for themselves and went on to pressurise the Newry defence with Darren Gallagher and Jamie Diamond both having chances. However football can be a cruel game and Newry would go on to get a 5th goal against the run of play when a Stephen McCabe freekick hit the post and Timmy Grant tucked in the rebound. It wasn’t total misery for the Glen Road club who got a consolation goal on the 85th minute when John Donnan got the ball from a corner and flicked on to find the head of Darren Gallagher who headed home to make the score 5-1. Newry however restored their five goal lead in the dying seconds of the game when Darragh Hanaphy found Timmy Grant at the back post who used his head to find his hatrick and City’s 6th. Newry: Buchanan, King, Carvill (McCabe), Donegan, Hutchinson (Copeland), Devlin, Tierney (M Hughes), Freeman, Mallon, Grant, Hanaphy. Subs not used: S Hughes, Havern.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed


This website does not share personal information with third parties nor do we store any information about your visit other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings.

We are not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without our permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on 16/01/2017. If you have any questions feel free to contact Newry Times by emailing

Log in