77 year old woman rescued from house fire in Rostrevor

Posted by
info@newrytimes.com
Thursday, December 22nd, 2016
Community, News
Fire EngineA 77 year old woman has been rescued from a fire in Rostrevor by Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service. NIFRS received a call at 4.36am yesterday (21st December 2016) to attend a house fire in Cherry Hill, Rostrevor, Warrenpoint. Two Appliances from Warrenpoint Fire Station and 1 Appliance from Newry Fire Station attended the incident. Speaking to Newry Times, Station Commander, Robert McCracken, Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) said, “Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus forced entry into the property and rescued a 77 year old lady from the bedroom of a detached bungalow.
Article continues below:
30th-nov-2016-small-box“She was suffering from slight smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to hospital by Ambulance as a precautionary measure. Firefighters dealt with a small fire in the bedroom. The cause of the fire is being treated as accidental. The incident was dealt with at 5.05am.” Robert continued, “The lady was wearing a personal alarm pendent and pressed the button to alert Aid Call, the personal alarm service provider. Her smoke alarm was going off at the time of the call and Aid Call alerted NIFRS to the fire. Article continues below: 2nd-dec-2016-big-boxStation Commander Robert McCracken revealed that an off duty Retained Firefighter from Warrenpoint Fire Station had previously been carrying out some maintenance in the lady’s home and had taken the opportunity to replace the batteries in her smoke alarm. He also provided her with basic fire safety advice, suitable for her particular mobility needs. This included lying on the floor to stay below the level of the smoke. “This advice, combined with the personal alarm alert system, has ultimately saved her life,” Robert insisted. “At this time of year it’s more crucial than ever that we check in with our older family and friends and those who are more at risk in our community. Please ensure they have a working smoke alarm, check their home for Christmas fire hazards and advise them of steps they can take to help stop fire in their home.” If you are worried about the fire safety of someone in your community you can register them for a free Home Fire Safety Check by visiting our websitewww.nifrs.org

Would you like to advertise your business on Newry Times and reach thousands of people every day? Contact the Newry Times office on 028 4062 6520 or email Paul: editor@newrytimes.com

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

-->

This website does not share personal information with third parties nor do we store any information about your visit other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings.

We are not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without our permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on 16/01/2017. If you have any questions feel free to contact Newry Times by emailing editor@newrytimes.com

Log in