Local football round up, 25th February 2012

Posted by
Sunday, February 26th, 2012
The improvement in the weather saw all Premier division, First division and Junior cup ties go ahead as scheduled on Saturday.

Premier Division

Crieve pick up first league win of season Crieve Rovers picked up their first league win of the season after coming back from 3-1 down to defeat Cleary Celtic 5-3 at Jennings park. Crieve took an early lead but Cleary hit back with goals from Karl and Mattie Sheilds to give them a 2-1 advantage at the interval.

Grasshopper's Seanie Rogers breaks forward in their game against Midway at Jennings park.

Shane Lundy put Cleary 3-1 up early in the second half which was a little harsh on Crieve, as not for the first time this season, the scoreline didn’t reflect their play. Crieve were playing good attacking football and were unlucky not to pull a goal back when Stephen Hughes hit a great effort from 35 yards out only to see his shot come back off the crossbar. Crieve rallied in the final twenty minutes of the game with an onslaught on the Cleary goal with strikes from Damian McCrink, Barney Havern and Pavel to turn the game around and give them a 4-3 lead. Mickey Lennon put the final nail in Cleary’s coffin when he scored Crieve’s fifth with the last kick of the game, slotting the ball past Dusty O’Hagan in the Cleary goal. Finn Harps edge Rockview in seven goal thriller Finn Harps did their title aspirations no harm after picking up three points in a seven goal thriller against stable mates Rockview United at Frank Curran Park. A close range effort from Caolan Gray and an own goal gave Finn Harps a two goal advantage after twenty minutes. Gavin Greaves then threaded through to Gray who calmly slotted the ball past the ‘keeper from close range on the half hour mark to give Harps a three goal cushion. Rockview pulled a goal back a minute before half time when a well taken corner found Conor McCaul totally unmarked to head the ball home.

Cleary Celtic's Kenny Murphy gets up to challenge for the ball with this Crieve Rovers opponent.

Early into the second half Gray completed his hat trick when he beat his man and hit a fierce drive that gave Michael McKevitt in the Rockview sticks no chance. Rockview never gave up though and goals from Robbie White and an unstoppable shot from new boy Lucas got them right back into the game. Rockview pressed hard for an equaliser in the final minutes of the game but the Finn Harps defence stood firm and held out for a big win. Kilkeel too strong for Damolly Damolly’s good run came to an end after they went down 2-0 to Kilkeel Athletic at the Esplanade. Ex Down GAA star John Clarke gave Kilkeel the lead when he hit a fine volley right into the top corner of the net from just outside the box. Liam Rooney got the second goal from the penalty spot. Win sees Woodside move up the table Woodside were too strong for Ballybot in a battle of two teams at the wrong end of the table at Orior Park. Woodside played some great attacking football and goals from Brendan Doran, Seamie Trainor and Kyle Cartmill gave them three valuable points. This result sees them move seven points clear of the relegation zone.

First Division

Grasshoppers grind out win over Midway Grasshoppers got the better of fellow promotion hopefuls Midway United in a very closely fought encounter at Jennings Park. Seanie Rogers put the ‘Hoppers in front before Feenan replied for Midway to leave the sides level at half time. Grasshoppers scored twice early in the second period to give them a two goal cushion. Midway created plenty of chances and got themselves back into the game when Feenan grabbed his second goal of the game midway through the second half. The Meadow side pressed for an equaliser and came very close to getting it on a number of occasions – Martin Fitzmaurice twice forcing good saves from the ‘Hopper’s goalkeeper. Grasshoppers held out though and this result keeps them in third place in the table, on the tails of the top two in the promotion places. Whitecross slip up at Milburn League leaders Whitecross suffered their first defeat of the calendar year away to Milburn. Colly O’Hanlon gave Whitecross the lead directly from a free kick just after half time. Allan McFerran got Milburn back on level terms with a 25 yard cracker shortly after. Packy McNulty then put Milburn 2-1 ahead after a fine passing move from a short corner. Whitecross pushed for an equaliser but were caught out on the counter attack when Daniel Quinn got forward to give the ‘Point side a 3-1 lead. Cathal McSherry scored in the final minutes for Whitecross but at that stage it was too little, too late. Rare win for Ashgrove Rovers Cart