Newry Council sets Rates for 2012-13
Newry and Mourne Council has released details of rates for 2012-13. The news came after a Council meeting yesterday where they agreed to a 1.99% increase in the district rate. This means households in Newry and Mourne District face an increase of 2.1% in their overall rates bill (assuming Regional Rate increases by 2.2%) – an average of 27 pence per week or £14.50 per annum on a property with a capital rate of £100,000.
Lord Mayor Councillor Charlie Casey thanked Councillors and Management for their cooperation in achieving a realistic rate for 2012/13 and he said that he was pleased that Newry and Mourne District Council have continuously achieved their objective of striking a rate which is appropriate and realistic. According to the Council, they believe that during 2011/12 year they continued to deliver a programme of capital developments throughout the Newry and Mourne District. These included a number of schemes such as the following:
• 3G Synthetic playing field at 3-Ways Community Centre, Newry
• Resurfacing of Fr Cullen Park, Bessbrook
• New multi-purpose Recreation Area at Cloughreagh
• New Play Area at Barnmeen
• Extension to Bessbrook Bowling Pavilion
• Refurbishment of Canavan Room at Sean Hollywood Arts Centre
• Completion of Kilkeel Public Realm Scheme
• Upgrade to car park at Ross Monument
• Newry Navvy Public Art Sculpture at Canal Street/Sugar Island
Other Capital projects which commenced during the past year included:
• Outdoor Fitness Area (Tone Zone) at Kilbroney Park, Rostrevor
• Enhancement of White Water Amenity Area
• Enhancement to Amenity Area at Narrow Water
• Enhancement to Mill Bay Amenity Area
2011/12 also saw the completion of a new running track, 3G playing field and changing facilities at St Colman’s College, as well as the commencement of a sub regional play area at Slieve Gullion Forest Park in South Armagh. Works have been completed at Kilkeel Leisure Centre, to refurbish the swimming pool tank and surrounding areas and replacement of health suite facilities including sauna cabin, steam room and spa bath and additionally the sports hall heating system has been replaced.
The Council also implemented the Food Hygiene rating scheme (scores on the doors) throughout the district. For 2012/13 the Council’s Capital Development Programme will include the following:
• Commencement of £9million new Swimming Pool (Phase1) at Rooney’s Meadow in Newry
• Commencement of £1.5million regeneration public realm scheme at Hill Street and Monaghan Street, Newry
• Upgrade to Slieve Gullion Walkway in South Armagh
• Neighbourhood Renewal Schemes at Derrybeg and Carnagat
• Mountain Bike Track at Rostrevor Forest
• Development of new household recycling centre in Crossmaglen
• Development of Monks Hill Cemetery
In addition to its existing programme of major/minor events, the Council will facilitate the visit of the Olympic Torch to the City of Newry in June with a major evening celebration and civic events. The Council will also facilitate the commemoration of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee for 2012.
The Council also stated its plans to:
• Continue plans for the development of the bio diversity park at the former refuse site at Courtney Hill and implementation of the local biodiversity action plan
• Continue monitoring and implementing the action plan in relation to clean air in the area
• Enforce the new dog legislation, including micro chipping
• Implement the new high hedges and clean neighbourhood legislation
• Install charging posts throughout the district for electric vehicles
• Roll out the energy rating scheme for all district council public buildings.
The Council will continue to fund community initiatives through its voluntary contribution scheme. The gross budget of ₤1,175,037, which includes economic development, covers a diverse range of schemes and project and acts as a catalyst to lever substantial funds for community sectors.
Would you like to advertise your business on Newry Times and reach thousands of people every day? Contact the Newry Times office on 028 4062 6520 or email Paul: email@example.com