Carnbane round up, 20th October 2012 | Latest Newry News, Newry Sport and Newry Business for Newry City

Carnbane round up, 20th October 2012

Premier Division

Honours even between ‘Strollers and Damolly
Damolly and North End Strollers earned a point apiece in a physical encounter at Olympic Park.

The ‘Strollers failed to take advantage of their dominance in the first half, leaving the sides goalless at half time.

The Armagh Road side broke the deadlock early into the second half. Damolly ‘keeper Steven Shields brought down Charlie Hutchinson inside the box and the in-form striker slotted home the resulting spot kick to give his team a deserved lead.

North End Stroller’s goalkeeper Malcolm Brady comes off his line to claim this high ball

The sides were back on level terms midway through the second half. Gavin Martin played a long pin-point ball to brother Stefan on the right flank and his cross found Gareth Moffett in the box, who headed past Brady at the second time of asking.

This goal sparked a real sense of urgency into Damolly’s play, and given the number of chances they created in the final quarter of the game, they may well feel disappointed not to have taken all three points back to the Belfast road.

Things get a little heated in the game between Damolly and North End Strollers

Brian Henning twice forced Stroller’s ‘keeper Malcolm Brady into making good saves while centre half Stephen Lowry made a series of timely interceptions when it looked like Damolly were just about to pull the trigger on goal.

This result sees North End Strollers climb into mid division but Damolly remain rooted to the foot of the table.

If David Campbell’s side can build on the second half performance in this game then it shouldn’t be too long before they start picking up points and making their way up the league table.

Stroller’s defender Stephen Lowry and goalkeeper Malcolm Brady can only look on as Damolly’s Gareth Moffett heads in the equaliser

More photos from North End Strollers v Damolly:

[nggallery id=26]


Seasiders stun the ‘Bot
A superb display from Killowen Celtic helped steer themselves away from the relegation zone  with a 4-1 win over Ballybot United in Kilbroney.

The visitors took an early lead but PJ Parr leveled the game from the penalty spot ten minutes in.

A short range effort from Aidan Cousins gave Killowen a 2-1 lead before Daniel Sloan finished neatly to give  a his side a healthy 3-1 advantage at the interval.

Ben Reynolds sealed the points when he headed in the Hoops fourth ten minutes from time.

First Division

Newry Hibs are still searching for their first win after going down 4-1 to Ashgrove Rovers at Jennings Park. Jakub Stefanko, John Mackin, Pavel Tumkiewicz and Cricky Smyth were all on target as Ashgrove claimed their second victory of the campaign.

Orchard City remain the only senior Carnbane side that still boast a 100% record in all competitions. Peter Markey, Barney Havern and Stephen Daly continued Orchard’s dominance of the First Division with a 3-1 over a plucky Shanro Santos at Nan Sands park.

After looking likely candidates for promotion early on in the campaign, this now looks like a distant memory for Millburn United. The Warrenpoint side slumped to their fourth defeat in as many games, after conceding two late goals against Grasshoppers at Frank Curran park.

Top scorer Ruairi Murdock headed in a free kick to give Milburn the lead midway through the second half but the ‘Hoppers hit back ten minutes from time when a long range effort from Stephen Hankin deceived the Millburn ‘keeper.

The snatch and grab was complete in the final minute when Grasshopper’s Stevie Wylie found the back of the net to claim all three points for his side.

Cartwheel United moved into joint third position in the league table after a 2-1 win over Park View at Artie Green Park. A goal from Stevie Hughes was unable to prevent the Drumalane side falling to their fifth league defeat of the season.

Irish Junior Cup

Stars book place in third round

Last years semi finalists Windmill Stars progressed into the 3rd Round of this season’s Coca Cola Junior Cup, with a 3-1 defeat of Belfast side Tullymore Swifts at Mallusk.

Jeff Higgins of the IFA Junior Committee, presents Windmill’s Gareth White with the Coca Cola “Man of the Match” trophy.

The Belfast side opened the scoring with a well taken penalty in the 3rd minute but this was cancelled out on the 13th minute with a penalty from Windmill’s Ruairi Cunningham.

Within 60 seconds of the restart Windmill scored again with Joe McLaughlin finding the net.

The game saw end to end play and both teams came close to finding the net but it was again Windmill who made the pressure count with a 39th minute goal from Josh McKeown.

In the second half, both sides created a number of chances with neither side finding the net.

Windmill’s Gareth White was presented with the Coca Cola “Man of the Match” trophy after the game by Jeff Higgins of the IFA Junior Committee.

Finn Harps 2 – AMC 3

Windmill’s neighbours Finn Harps bowed out of the competition after losing out 3-2 to Ardoyne Working Men’s club at Willie Davis Park.

Ferghal Murpy scored a header to give Harps an early lead but the Church Street outfit found themselves trailing 2-1 at the interval.

Ryan Devlin netted after the restart to leave the tie all square once more. This goal lifted Harps into the ascendancy and they looked the likelier to score, but an error in their defence let Ardoyne in to score what turned out to be the winner against the run of play. This goal took the wind from their sails and Harps never really looked like getting back into the tie.

Bohs exit Cup after heavy defeat

Bohemians had a day to forget after they made their exit from the Junior Cup following an 11-2 defeat away to Rosemount Rec of Greyabbey.

Short URL:

Posted by on Oct 22 2012. Filed under Sport. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Find us on Facebook

Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes