Local football hit by postponements

Posted by
Sunday, December 4th, 2011
Jennings Park

The scene at Jennings Park on Saturday where both games were called off due to an unplayable surface.

Local football hit by postponements

The majority of local football in the area was hit by a series of postponements on Saturday.  All youth games on Saturday morning were cancelled along with many senior fixtures in the afternoon.  There was also three games cancelled due to bereavements associated with the clubs.  However, two Premier division, two Division 1 and two Mid Ulster Shield games went ahead as planned. The shock result of the day was at Frank Curran Park where Ballybot United knocked out Mid Ulster Division 1 side Silverwood United 3-2 in the last 32 of the Mid Ulster Shield.  The ‘Bot were 2-1 in front before they were reduced to ten men. Shortly after the sending off, Silverwood levelled affairs going into the final ten minutes of the game. Given that Silverwood ply their trade in the highest tier of the Mid Ulster you could be forgiven for thinking that they would go on to win the game. The Newry side had other ideas though. Ruairi Cunningham broke free on the left hand side and crossed the ball into the box to Duffy, who poked the ball into the back of the net to grab his second goal of the match.  In the final moments of the game Silverwood missed some glorious chances for an equaliser as they hit the underside of the bar and hit the rebound wide. It wasn’t to be for the Lurgan outfit as the ‘Bot held on for a famous victory. In the only other Mid Ulster Shield tie to be played locally, Clanrye Athletic lost 5 – 2 to Banbridge Rangers Reserves. Gervais Patterson’s Villa Rovers went down 2-0 away to Warrenpoint Town Reserves and Kilkeel Athletic had an excellent 2-0 victory away to Hill Street in Lurgan. Finn Harps remained in the hunt for the Premier division title with a 2-1 victory over a spirited Woodside team. ‘Dixie’ Devlin opened the scoring for the Church street side before Caolon Gray was given his marching orders for the Harps. John Craven gave the Harps a two goal cushion with a spectacular strike from his own half which left the Woodside keeper flat footed. Woodside scored an injury time goal to peg it back to 2-1 but this proved only to be a consolation goal for them. The other Premier Division clash saw Killeavy beat Killowen Celtic 4-2. In the First Division North End Strollers hammered Rostrevor Rovers 4-0 in Kilbroney to keep them top of the table. Whitecross remain only a point behind them though as they beat Ashgrove Rovers  5-1. Results Mid Ulster Shield Shield Ballybot United  3  Silverwood  2 Clanrye Ath  2  Banbridge Rngrs Res 5 Hill Street 0 Kilkeel Athletic 2 Warrenpoint Town Reserves 2 Villa Rovers 0 Premier Division Killeavy 4 Killowen Celtic 2 Finn Harps 2 Woodside 1 First Division Whitecross 5 Ashgrove Rovers 1 Rostrevor Rovers 0 North End Strollers 4
Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed


This website does not share personal information with third parties nor do we store any information about your visit other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings.

We are not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without our permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on 16/01/2017. If you have any questions feel free to contact Newry Times by emailing editor@newrytimes.com

Log in