Risk of carbon monoxide poisoning highlighted

Posted by
editor@newrytimes.com
Thursday, July 23rd, 2020
Community

Carbon monoxide (CO) can be a hidden killer during the summer months, and with many of us holidaying at home this year on camping, caravanning or boating trips, the Public Health Agency (PHA) is urging holidaymakers to be aware of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in enclosed spaces.

 

Embed from Getty Images

 

While carbon monoxide is usually associated with domestic fossil fuel-burning appliances, incidents and even deaths can also occur in caravans and tents, on boats and in other small places.

 

 

Hilary Johnston, Health and Social Wellbeing Improvement Manager at the PHA said, “Carbon monoxide can build up very quickly in enclosed spaces to levels that could prove fatal.

“Faulty gas cookers, appliances or petrol-powered generators have led to carbon monoxide poisoning.

“Carbon monoxide has also been linked to deaths where people have brought gas and charcoal barbecues into tents and other small enclosed spaces, sometimes in an attempt to keep warm,” she revealed.

It is important for people to be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and ways to reduce risks.

“Carbon monoxide is a colourless, tasteless and odourless gas that is non-irritating and as a result can be very hard to detect”, continued Hilary.

 

 

“The signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often mistaken for other illnesses, such as food poisoning or flu.

“Anyone who suspects they have carbon monoxide poisoning should immediately go outside into the fresh air and seek urgent medical attention,” she added.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

 

 

– Headaches;
– Dizziness;
– Breathlessness;
– Nausea and vomiting;
– Exhaustion;
– Drowsiness;
– Light-headedness;
– Collapse and loss of consciousness.

 

Article continues below:


Following some safety steps can reduce your risk:

Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your caravan, holiday home or boat.

These alarms have a limited life span, so if you’ve had one for a while, please check to see if they are working properly – it might be time to buy a new one;

Never take a barbecue inside;

Never use a fuel-burning appliance to heat your tent, awning, caravan or boat. (Gas and kerosene heaters – unless they are permanently fitted in a caravan or motorhome – should only be used outside);

Never run a gas, petrol or diesel-powered generator inside;

Don’t cook inside your tent or awning;


Article continues below:


Don’t use any other gas, charcoal, liquid or solid fuel appliances inside a tent or awning.

Gas-powered fridges and lamps, for example, also need plenty of ventilation to prevent them producing poisonous carbon monoxide.

Tents and awnings aren’t generally designed with this in mind;

Always have gas appliances in your caravan or boat serviced regularly.

For more information visit pha.site/CarbonMonoxidesafety

 

 

5 Powerful Benefits of Blogging EVERY Northern Ireland Business Owner, Marketing Manager and Director Needs To Know

 

 

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

-->

This website does not share personal information with third parties nor do we store any information about your visit other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings.

We are not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without our permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on 16/01/2017. If you have any questions feel free to contact Newry Times by emailing editor@newrytimes.com

Log in