Newry parents warned about ‘highly dangerous’ batteries ahead of Christmas

Posted by
editor@newrytimes.com
Friday, December 20th, 2019
Community

The Public Health Agency (PHA) has issued a pre-Christmas warning to parents and guardians about the dangers of lithium button cell batteries, which are used to power many children’s toys but are highly dangerous if accidentally swallowed.

The festive period can typically see a rise in the number of these small, button-shaped batteries introduced to the home as they are contained in many toys, musical Christmas cards, remote controls and a host of other electronic items.

Article continues below

Hilary Johnston, Health and Social Wellbeing Improvement Manager at the PHA, said, “Young children are naturally inquisitive, and explore the world in part by putting things in their mouths.

 

 

“As new and interesting electronic items are introduced into the family home, the potential for children to swallow button cell batteries increases, and this can lead to choking, burning or poisoning.

“If undetected, button cell batteries can do serious damage to the gastrointestinal system.

“Lithium batteries react with saliva, setting up an electrical current which results in a build-up of caustic soda, which will burn through the oesophagus and major blood vessels,” she warned.

 

 

“There are a few simple things that can be done to help protect young children from the dangers of button cell batteries.

“Battery compartments should be checked to make sure they can’t be opened or broken easily.

“Parents need to ensure that battery compartments are screwed shut when possible. Keep spare batteries in a safe place out of reach of children.”

 

 

Hilary added, “We want parents, grandparents, childminders and carers to be aware of the dangers associated with these batteries and understand that these seemingly harmless objects can cause serious injury to children.

“Treat them the same way you would any poisonous substance – out of reach and out of sight.”

 

 

To view the button cell battery warning video see https://vimeo.com/379972768

 

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

-->

This website does not share personal information with third parties nor do we store any information about your visit other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings.

We are not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without our permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on 16/01/2017. If you have any questions feel free to contact Newry Times by emailing editor@newrytimes.com

Log in