Easter campers be aware of CO poisoning risk linked to BBQs

Newry Times News Posted by
info@newrytimes.com
Monday, April 14th, 2014
Community

Next week the Easter holidays start and many families will be thinking of heading off camping, so the Public Health Agency (PHA) is reminding people of the danger of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning from leaving lit or smouldering barbecues inside tents or caravans.

Many people are already aware that fossil fuels and wood, when burnt without enough oxygen, create high levels of CO.

However, the PHA is concerned that campers may not be aware of the risks involved with taking lit or smouldering barbecues inside tents, awnings or caravans.

CO is a colourless, tasteless, odourless gas that is non-irritating, and as a result can be very hard to detect. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, nausea and vomiting, exhaustion, drowsiness, dizziness and lightheadedness, ‘flu like’ symptoms, palpitations (feeling your heart beat oddly), chest pain and losing consciousness.

CO poisoning can be fatal and affect anyone, including healthy adults. However, children, older people, pregnant women and anyone with heart or breathing problems are more vulnerable to its effects.

Dr Gerry Waldron, Acting Assistant Director of Public Health (Health Protection) at the PHA, advises, “It is important to remind people going camping or caravanning over the Easter holidays that despite being out in the fresh air, carbon monoxide can build up very quickly in enclosed spaces, such as tents and awnings, to levels that can kill.

“And with the cold weather forecast, campers may be tempted to take barbecues inside. Barbecues should never be used or left inside tents or awnings once they have been lit or after they have been used – they should be disposed of safely ensuring all fire and ashes are completely extinguished.

He added, “It is essential that people take care when using barbecues and ensure that they are safe and used in properly ventilated spaces. Anyone who suspects they are suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning while camping should immediately go outside into the fresh air and seek urgent medical attention.”


Would you like to advertise your business on Newry Times and reach thousands of people every day? Contact the Newry Times office on 028 4062 6520 or email Paul: editor@newrytimes.com

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed
























Find us on Facebook

This website does not share personal information with third parties nor do we store any information about your visit other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings.

We are not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without our permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on 16/01/2017. If you have any questions feel free to contact Newry Times by emailing editor@newrytimes.com

Log in