Health hazard: Camlough Lake ‘unsafe to swim in’, warns Newry Council

Newry Times News Posted by
info@newrytimes.com
Wednesday, July 24th, 2013
Community, News

Newry and Mourne District Council are advising the public not to swim in Camlough Lake.

The Council told Newry Times that sample results taken from Camlough lake indicate toxin levels in the water from algae which may cause adverse health effects including skin irritations and gastro-intestinal illnesses.

The Council insist that toxins in the water are a natural consequence of algae growth which has been accelerated due to the recent high temperatures and low rain fall.

Their statement stated, “Newry and Mourne District Council will continue to sample and monitor the level of toxins in the lake but current levels would indicate adverse health effects in line with World Health Organisation guidelines.

The Council added, “Risks of ingestion are particularly high for children and our advice to the public is not to swim in Camlough Lake until such times as toxin levels decrease. Signs warning the public not to swim in the lake have been erected and we urge the public to comply.”

More to follow.


Would you like to advertise your business on Newry Times and reach thousands of people every day? Contact the Newry Times office on 028 4062 6520 or email Paul: editor@newrytimes.com

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed





































Find us on Facebook

Log in