Sinn Fein launch Easter Lily campaign in Newry
The event was attended by family members of those who gave their lives for the freedom struggle in Ireland, elected representatives and committee members and included Assembly Members for the area Mickey Brady and Conor Murphy.
Following the launch Mr Brady MLA made the following comments,
“This campaign is designed to raise awareness about the Easter Lily and what it symbolises and to encourage everybody to wear a lily at Easter Time in honour of our patriot dead.”
He continued, “Today we are honoured to have relations of some of our fallen volunteers with us. We want them to know that we will never forget the sacrifices that their loved ones have made. The importance of the contribution of our Volunteer dead cannot be underestimated. They have played a major part in creating the conditions for the political process we are now engaged in which delivers real results for ordinary people on the ground. I am calling on everybody, young and old, to wear their Easter Lily with pride as I will be doing.”
Local MP Conor Murphy added, “Members of Newry Commemoration Committee will be calling at people’s doors to sell Easter Lilies in the run up to Easter starting on 12th March and a Flag Day has been arranged for 30th March. This fundraising initiative will be used to fund a programme of events which takes place over Easter and I would urge everyone to support them.”
In addition a number of events are in the pipeline for Easter including;
- A lecture on Patrick Rankin which will be held in Newry Arts Centre on Tuesday 3rd April at 7.30pm.
- A cycle tracing the route taken by Patrick Rankin to participate in the Easter Rising from Newry to the GPO Dublin will take place on Friday 6th April
- A pageant re-enacting Padraig Pearse’s reading of the Proclamation of Independence will take place at Newry Town Hall on Saturday 7th April at 12 O’clock.
- Historical Tour of Newry Saturday 7th April at 10am and 12.30pm. Those interested in participating can find out more by calling 028 3026 1693
- Newry Easter Parade, assembling Easter Sunday 8th April 12 O’clock
Patrick Street, Newry, Main speaker Alex Maskey. Followed by dinner and a function in Bellini’s, tickets on sale £10 available from Newry Sinn Féin office or any committee member.
Would you like to advertise your business on Newry Times and reach thousands of people every day? Contact the Newry Times office on 028 4062 6520 or email Paul: email@example.com